Quantity: 6 servings
- 1 large chicken weighing approximately 2 kg
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. l ghee
- 1 tbsp. l sweet ground paprika
- salt, freshly ground black pepper
Chicken BBQ Marinade
You can take any ready-made sauce for the glaze – marinade: adjika with tomatoes, teriyaki sauce, mustard with additives and so on. Try not to use sauces in which there is a lot of sugar (such as narsharab or haysin) – they burn instantly on charcoal. Large chicken is baked for quite some time. If you want to speed up the process, make a few cuts – first cut the joints connecting the thigh and lower leg. You can also make a small incision on each thigh.
Step by step cooking of chicken on the grill
1. Dry the chicken on the outside and inside with paper towels, rub with salt (also on the outside and inside), let stand for about 10-15 minutes.2. Grate the garlic on a fine grater. Remove thyme leaves from 2 branches. Scrub the zest with half a lemon and squeeze the juice.
3. Mix the prepared ingredients with a little warm oil. Pepper and freshly ground pepper.
4. Rub the chicken with spiced oil on the outside and inside. Coarse the remaining half-lemon, put the chicken in the abdomen along with the remaining branches of thyme.
5. Fry the chicken on the coals in a barbecue cauldron, then fry in the reflected heat until cooked, about 1 hour. Before serving, allow the chicken to rest under a sheet of foil for 10-15 minutes.
How to roast a whole bird in a barbecue cauldron
1. Thoroughly clean the grate of the barbecue boiler with a brush to remove any residue that has baked from the last time.
2. Put crumpled paper into the starter (a device for firing up coal) from below, pour coal over it, light the paper. When the coals are busy, take the starter with both hands and wave it slightly from side to side to inflate the flame.
3. After 5 minutes, pour the burning coals into the barbecue pot. top up with more coals, install the grate and burn it.
4. If the coals do not burn well enough, fan the flame with the help of a special “hand wave” or just a piece of cardboard. Let the coals burn well – they should be covered with gray ash.
5. Thoroughly grease the grate. This can be done with a silicone brush by dipping it in vegetable oil. But it is even better to chop a piece of fat on a fork and grease the grill with it.
6. Put the prepared bird on the greased grate, fry on all sides until golden brown – turn the bird about every 3 minutes.
7. Carefully remove the grill with the bird. Rake the coals on the sides of the boiler with a long scoop or poker, return the grate to its place. Lay the bird in the center.
8. Close the boiler lid, cook the bird in the reflected heat, turning it over every 10 minutes, about 1 hour.
9. Put the finished bird on a dish, cover it loosely with foil and let it “rest” for 10-15 minutes, then chop and serve.